Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Borders (was Re: RFC: new implementation of island num

To: iquin@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Borders (was Re: RFC: new implementation of island numbering)
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 12:41:03 +0100

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 12:20:48PM +0800, iquin@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > There is in Alpha Centauri. There are orbital improvements that affect
> > > all your cities, so effect would be "player".
>
> > True, although such improvements have their own little quirks too - once
> > built, they are not 'owned' by the city any more, but are launched into
> > space, and so effectively enter a player-owned pool of improvements.
> I think these types of improvements are best implemented like spaceparts.

Spaceparts are hardcoded, so this is not an option. impr-gen has code in
place for the effects of destroyed improvements though (the "survives"
flag in buildings.ruleset) so it would be fairly straightforward to
implement these kinds of unowned improvements in the same way.

> Also, how are borders implemented?
> I just thought if it could have been implemented as non-combat units
> sentry around your territories, so only rulesets need modification.

Each tile is owned by a player. Players own all tiles within a certain
distance of their cities, or equidistant to an enemy city if one is
within twice this distance. Borders are drawn between tiles that have
different owners. It's fairly straightforward (and works in FreecivAC);
the only issues are concerned with fog of war.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur."