Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Speeding Up Games

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Speeding Up Games
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 13:23:41 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Thomas Strub wrote:
> A surrender should allways lead to the end of a game. (Victory by
> points)

Agreed.

> The player/alliance with the highest prod/eco/mil-power/techlead
> can ask if all other want to give up. When all the others say ok. The
> gameends with an allied victory for them. The AI should only agree when
> the power from all but the ally and the players who have surrendered is
> much smaller then the power of the winning players.

What we really need is a multi-player diplomacy dialog. This way an
alliance could collectively decide on allowing another player into its
fold or make any other kind of treaty with a non-member (any one member of
the alliance gets effective veto), if it passes all alliance members adopt
the same treaty vs this player. There could also be a global dialog for
all players for a "Surrender to X" proposal.

The same dialog could also be used for all players for voting on civserver
options changes during the game.

I am not sure how one could design such a dialog, though.

It would need to be bigger than the existing dialog, I guess. In that
respect, I think that the ideal would be permanent a tab in the main
window for each other player you have contact with + one for alliance +
one for global. The tab text can change colour when contents change. That
way you avoid the stress of all those annoying popup windows, and you can
deal with diplomacy when you have the time for it.

  - Per