Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3565) End of turn moves

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3565) End of turn moves
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 07:43:50 -0800

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 07:13:58AM -0800, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:

> [ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Tue Mar 25 13:29:01 2003]:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 05:55:54PM -0800, ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > wrote:

> > defending
> > happened

> > this
> > >
> > > Ok, i only changed the timeout thing ... any comments?
> >
> > New packet introduced to remove the turn done for the client, so its
> > not
> > comaptible to old clients ...
>
> If I understand correctly, people use GOTO in this exploit.  Then how
> about forbidding GOTO in the last N seconds of each turn?  Would it
> solve the problem?  Would it make a smaller change?

Not only goto, you can land with a warrior next to a city on mountain
surronded by forests in the last 1-2 seconds of the last turn (or short
before pressing turn done). Then you get that city with you warrior in
the next round, the defender sees the warrior but its to late so he
can't change the production to a defending unit.

For that you don't need goto, you can move the units by hand. Moving a
unit needs ~1 sec, so you can land with the warrior from outside fov in
2-3 secs. Changing production and buying the unit needs around 5 seconds
(with copypaste + oneclick buy) without that clientmodifications longer.

> I must admit the present patch is relatively neat, but it will add a
> possibility of infite timeout extension: you just move a unit back and
> forth on a railroad within your enemy's view.

I've seen that drawback, but without timeout you'll have a infinite long
turn too, because noone wants to press the turn done button because he
wants to move last or have the chance to react after the other player
has moved.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wenn Du nicht programmieren kannst und Dir für Arbeit zu schade bist: