Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3565) End of turn moves

To: ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3565) End of turn moves
From: "Gregory Berkolaiko" <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 07:13:58 -0800

[ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Tue Mar 25 13:29:01 2003]:

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 05:55:54PM -0800, ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 11:03:32AM -0800, ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > i really dislike end of turn moves.
> > > People use that trick to get nearer to enemy cities and the
> defending
> > > person has no chance to react.
> > > In a round based game people should have full information what
> happened
> > > last round before the next round starts.
> > >
> > > When another person has moved his units into my FOC my "turn done"
> > > button should change to unpressed and the timeout should increase
> this
> > > turn by a configurable amount of time.
> >
> > Ok, i only changed the timeout thing ... any comments?
>
> New packet introduced to remove the turn done for the client, so its
> not
> comaptible to old clients ...

If I understand correctly, people use GOTO in this exploit.  Then how
about forbidding GOTO in the last N seconds of each turn?  Would it
solve the problem?  Would it make a smaller change?

I must admit the present patch is relatively neat, but it will add a
possibility of infite timeout extension: you just move a unit back and
forth on a railroad within your enemy's view.

G.