Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: What proof is needed that a given piece of code is GPL

To: sam+civ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: What proof is needed that a given piece of code is GPL?
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 08:49:10 +0100

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 05:38:48PM -0800, sam+civ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I have found some useful code on the internet which I would like
> to integrate into FreeCiv (some code which simulate plate tectonics
> to generate random maps).  The code, as it exists on the internet,
> is under a non-GPL license.
>
> However, I have obtained permission from the author to re-license
> this code under the GPL.  What proof do I need to present to the
> FreeCiv development team that this code now has a GPL license, and
> can therefore be legally added to the FreeCiv codebase?
>
> - Sam

The proof must be presented not by you but by the copyright holder
(unless copyright is transferred to you, which is not the intention here)
and it must be presented not to Freeciv but to the world at large.

So I suggest that the author publish the code with a GNU liocense
omn a website somewhere.

--
Reinier