Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: problems running 1.14.0 built from scratch on Mac OS X

To: Michael Croft <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: problems running 1.14.0 built from scratch on Mac OS X 10.2.4
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 06:47:47 +0000 (WET)

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Michael Croft wrote:

> I built the stable codebase on Mac OS X 10.2.4 with Apple X11 0.2.1  It
> configured, made, served, connected, and started.  Then I got a
> segmentation fault.  Oops.  All is not yet right in the state of Denmark.
>
> My configure command line was:
> env CC="gcc2 -no-cpp-precomp" ./configure --disable-nls
>

> The -no-cpp-precomp was per the Install doc.  The disable-nls because I
> hadn't installed gettext.  The gcc2 was because it seemed like the solution
> to my problem, which is identical to ticket 2187
>
> gcc -v gives me:
> Reading specs from /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/3.1/specs
> Thread model: posix
> Apple Computer, Inc. GCC version 1151, based on gcc version 3.1 20020420
> (prerelease)
> gcc2 -v says:
> Reading specs from /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/2.95.2/specs
> Apple Computer, Inc. version gcc-937.2, based on gcc version 2.95.2
> 19991024 (release)
>
> Ticket 2187 says:
> Via PM we found that Apple's gcc3 are the problem. Using the shipped gcc2
> removed the problem.
>
> OK, but I think I tried that by setting the env CC="gcc2 ..." line, and I'm
> getting the same problem with both gcc and gcc2 in the CC="" line.
>
> The symptom is a segmentation fault on creating a new city dialog.  Sorry
> if this is overkill, but I don't know how much info to present to let you
> all help me. :)
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Michael Croft
> After this: I either figure out readline and SDL, or I'm coming back &
> asking more questions.

Or install gtk+-1.2.x or gtk+-2.0.x. Since you seem to have X11...

Or install the Carbon port of gtk+-1.2.x that is in progress...

Alternatively if you have the inclination you could continue the old Cocoa
port:

http://bolson.org/freeciv/
http://bolson.org/freeciv/fcivX20010131.jpg

Plenty of choices! ;-)