Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3551) New IBM Nuke

To: bursig@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3551) New IBM Nuke
From: "Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 06:17:22 -0800

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Rafa³ Bursig wrote:
> Dnia 2003.02.27 18:06 Per I. Mathisen napisa³(a):
> >
> In this case only one silo of ICBM per city.
>
> I simple don't think that this should be unit becouse we have one nuke
> as unit.
> It is nonsnense have 2 nuke units.
>
> And you mean someone must make some work to implement it. Yes that true
> but if you don't put new things then you will have stagnation :)

I think you play too much Command and Conquer.

In RL there are silo based, road mobile, sub-launched and bomber
launched intercontinental ballistic nuclear missiles. All of different
makes and sizes.

The Russians had some of their ICBM's mounted on trains.

In fact the preferred platforms are sub-launched and road mobile because
they have a higher survivabily rate in case of nuclear war.

The thing is it is a one use weapon. You can't move it around and land it
like an airplane like you do in Freeciv. You move it once and then it will
crash somewhere. Detonating or not. But I think the current behaviour is
acceptable.

---