Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3450) square_iterate and unreal positions

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3450) square_iterate and unreal positions
From: "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 05:30:44 -0800

Raimar Falke wrote:

>>There are no errors.
>
> What happens if we have a piece of code at the server side which
> doesn't check the map position of an incoming packet. This map
> position (it may be normal, real or non-real) is than passed to
> square_iterate. We won't notice it since square_iterate without the
> assert will conceal it.
>
> You are correct that the error is not in square_iterate. However this
> testing should be done in square_iterate.

No it most definitely should not.

But I am glad you agree that the iterators do not need this and thus
they are just being (ab)used for your religious witch hunts.

It follows that the bugs you have introduced should now be reverted to
restore the proper robustness and functionality to the code.

Please make these fixes ASAP.

>       Raimar

Cheers,
RossW