[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3549) SDI Defence as Orbital Warfare

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3549) SDI Defence as Orbital Warfare
From: "Rafa³ Bursig" <bursig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 06:55:57 -0800

Hi

IMHO Alpha Centauri Nuke defence model is better that current use by
freeciv.

Current SDI Defence imprv. give city immunity to nuke attack.

In AC this nuke defence is supported by "Orbital Defence Platforms"
which are deployed when nuke attack city and can't be used untill new
turn will happend.
(practicaly can but secound use of it will destroy this ODP).
Simply when Player have 2 ODP, his cities can handle 2 nuke attacts
without harm in this tun ( or next 2 attack with lost both ODP )

In AC those ODP can kill each others (what is count as "deploy") and
kill nuke defence other player.

In Freeciv we can implement it in two ways:

1) add 2 counters (deployed, buid) to impr. SDI Deffece effect. and
allow multi-build this imprv. by city.
This link those "SDI Orbital Deffece" with buider city and support
defence only to this city, but allow pay unkeep for each "SDI OD" by
this city.
Each city will have own nuke defence ( semi-current system ) by won't
be total imunity to nuke attack.

2) add semi-wonder "SDI Orbital Defence" (small wonder ?- can be build
by each player) effect that can be build in city but have effect on
other cities. In this way we can have nuke defence to all our cities (
even new build ) or support this defence to other players, ("lend")
which don't have this tech level.

Rafal