[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Music for Freeciv

To: "T.J.T van Kooten" <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Music for Freeciv
From: "T.J.T van Kooten" <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 21:49:17 +0100

> On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, T.J.T van Kooten wrote:
> > For the past year I've been in contact with Chris Abbot
> > from www.c64audio.com. He nowhas kindly given
> > permission for the use of some his the tracks from the
> > CD "Back in Time 3".I've converted the audio tracks to
> > Ogg format (min 192Kbps).
>
> Some of this music is very good. But it is a bit big. Also, we don't
> have code to play ogg files yet.

I'll do a lowend version of the files in 64Kbps.

> Do we have permission to split out some ambient loops or parts of the
> songs to use separately?

I think you can use certain parts of the songs as long as the original
author is credited.  I'll check this with Chris just in case.

> > Now that we have it, we can start the debate on how to
> > implement it in Freeciv. :)
>
> I've long wanted to move over to .ogg for sound effects, but mostly
> I've been waiting for esound to die quietly first. Right now I have
> too much on my plate to start working on it.

I've noticed in the AI discussion list. The Freeciv diplomacy
implementation is a fine piece of work.  :-)

> As an aside, I have packed and uploaded some public domain images that
> I collected with freeciv in mind a few years ago, in incoming as
> pd_images.zip. I created the image flash.jpg, which was my idea for a
> new intro graphic. I still find it kinda cute. It is based on a NASA
> map of the Earth.
>
>   - Per

I'll take a look, I've been working on my own PD Freeciv collection as
well. If we combine that with your set we'll probably have a PD image
stock to last Freeciv for the remainder of this decade.

Cheers,

Thomas (CapTVK)