[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2912) Remove last traces of year usage

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2912) Remove last traces of year usage
From: "Raimar Falke" <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 03:23:03 -0800

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 02:16:52AM -0800, Jason Short wrote:
> Raimar Falke wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 12:52:51AM -0800, Jason Short wrote:
> >
> >>[rfalke - Sat Feb 15 10:03:08 2003]:

> In that case, the intervals themselves are variable.  The math is still
> easy, it just makes the interface (for the user) harder.

I don't understand. What user? I agree that the math is easy but the
scope of each n-years-per-turn region isn't easy.

> >>But this is the mapping you are introducing, isn't it???
> >
> > Yes. But it is only a hack to support old client/servers and old
> > savegames. I would really like to remove it but than you won't be able
> > to load old savegames.
>
> Hmm, I hadn't considered savegames.  But I don't see why they're a
> problem.  If you load a savegame you just use the default calendar in
> turns but this is easy.  I still don't see why a hard-coded list of
> turn->year values is helpful.

If you dislike the hard-coding change them. I already said that this
isn't a problem for me.

> We should use a manditory capability to avoid network compatability
> issues.  We have so many of them right now that one more will make
> little difference.

I agree.

> But if it is not needed yet then, well, it is not needed yet.

Good.

So you replace the hard-coded array, move it into server/ and we can
apply the patch?!

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "On the eigth day, God started debugging"