[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3007) return(and recover) for ships

To: ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3007) return(and recover) for ships
From: "Jason Short via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 23:51:33 -0800

[ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Thu Feb  6 10:15:36 2003]:

> Hi,
>
> this is a part from iuz_warclient. With pressing "r" a ship will return
> to the nearest own harbour.
> The only difference to the orginal is that i'm using the new
> client_goto_map. (Hope that patch is applying)

The client_goto_map patch has been applied.

Can you update this patch with:

- Update it to current CVS, if necessary.

- Fix all the freelog() calls.  All of the messages should be in
English.  Make sure the log level (LOG_ERROR versus LOG_DEBUG) is right.
 LOG_ERROR messages may be translated, if you want.

- Rename find_closest_owned_port() to find_closest_owned_coastal_city(),
or another similar name.  The problem is that 'port' has a special
significance.

- find_closest_owned_coastal_city() should return the current city, if
the unit is already in a city (even though the current caller guarantees
this won't happen).  I'd recommend initializing 'dist' to -1, and
comparing to that value instead of to 0 within the loop.

- gui-gtk-2.0 needs menu sensitivity to be updated just like gui-gtk.
You can probably just take a diff of your gui-gtk changes and apply it
directly to gui-gtk-2.0.

- Except, 'Build road' is not a good menu entry to hide this
functionality under!  I know you intend this as a feature for veteran
players, but that doesn't mean it can't have a good interface.  It may
be possible to have two menu entries, "Build Road" and "Return/Recover",
both of which use 'r' so long as they're never both enabled at the same
time.  Or it may be possible to rebuild the unit orders menu
dynamically, or just to rename that one entry depending on what unit is
selected.  You may want to leave this up to the GUI authors and just
introduce a new menu entry for now, though.

jason