[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2957) is ocean as a function with oceanness read f

To: kayeats@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2957) is ocean as a function with oceanness read from ruleset
From: "Jason Short via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 00:18:56 -0800

Karen Yeats via RT wrote:
> Well it was just me being an idiot all along.  How embarassing.  Anyway,
> this version works.  Hope you like it.

It looks to me like with this code, and suitable
mapgen/savegame+ruleset+tileset changes, you could get different-looking
types of ocean.  I would like to see a demo of this, if possible: some
crude tilesets (iso and non-iso) [1], a changed ruleset, and (at least)
a savegame to show that the basic infrastructure works.  Actual support
for these features can come later.

Later other flags could be added controlling other rules behavior (for
instance triremes dying in "deep" water, not just when they leave shore).

[1] This is important since the ocean drawing code is very different in
iso and non-iso mode, and may not generalize well to different types of
ocean.  But the tileset can be _very_ crude; you could just invert the
current sprites to get the new graphics.

jason