[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2905) Science dialog shouldn't be modal

To: kenn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2905) Science dialog shouldn't be modal
From: "Jason Short via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 11:58:17 -0800

Reinier Post via RT wrote:
> I don't trust this.  There must have been a reason for the dialog
> to be modal.

I'm sure there was.  But this line traces back to before the code was
imported to CVS - on March 9, 1998.  There is no way to find out what
the original reason was, but it seems very unlikely that it still applies.

> What happens if you leave it open while new techs are being discovered?

It gets updated properly.  This is already the case.  The only
difference is that if it *isn't* already open it will get popped up
non-modal instead of modal.  The modality causes several bugs - see
PR#2905, PR#2341 (which I just merged with 2905), etc.

Vasco and I looked at modal dialog windows one day, and he pointed out
that most of them were modal because (at the time they were written)
they were not updated properly.  But that is no longer the case with the
science dialog.  Even if you completely ignore the dialog, your research
will proceed smoothly toward your tech_goal, or toward the next
available tech if you have no tech_goal.

So really it seems quite inconceivable that this dialog needs to be
modal.  That said, I would like to see if anyone has anything to say
about it after a few beta releases.

jason