Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2918) Changing from production to coinage

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2918) Changing from production to coinage
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 22:04:12 +0100

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 09:02:42PM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Joona Kiiski wrote:
> > All these issues can be easily fixed, if you use "shield_stock" instead of
> > "before_change_shields" in your patch, but of course then when changing
> > from unit or wonder to coinage 50% penalty gets applied.
> > If penalty is not what you want, then to do this properly requires that we
> > add in production system new type: TYPE_COINAGE
>
> I don't see why it should be unreasonable to apply a 50% penalty.

The idea for introducing coinage was, to help micromanagement, that is,
having the same output as when building a temple and selling it at
once; that is 40 shields for 40 gold.

Think now, you forgot to switch to coinage after a building is finished.
You go the old way because you don't want to loose shields.

You gain nothing when you switch to coinage *without* penalty, it just
makes life a bit easier.

I would apply no penalty. Caravan and disbanded unit shields also shouldn't
get lost.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/