Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] non-existent technologies

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] non-existent technologies
From: Jason Dorje Short <vze49r5w@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 18:16:48 -0500

We have spoken about removing non-existent technologies from the ruleset. But it just occurred to me this is a problem because the known technologies are stored as a bitfield.

There are all sorts of other unnecessary ruleset dependencies in the savegames, for instance units are stored by ID rather than by name. This can be improved on greatly by avoiding using an "index" when a name can be used instead. But it will still break if a unit is removed, for instance. To get full compatability either a capstring is needed to match ruleset and savegame, or the savegame should store all needed inforamation about the ruleset it was originally played with.

jason