Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#1824) ruleset data is in incompatible charsets

To: jrg45@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Kenn.Munro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: jlangley@xxxxxxx, mrproper@xxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#1824) ruleset data is in incompatible charsets
From: "Jason Short via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 11:20:03 -0800

We can make a workaround by using iconv to convert from UTF-8 into the
local charset when we load the rulesets.  This conversion need only be
done in one place, and will allow everything to work so long as the same
charset is used everywhere (server, client, machine you load your
savegame on...).  Thus it's good to fix 90%+ of the problem cases.  It
would be a good candidate to backport to 1.14 for a bugfix/patchlevel
release.

One problem: I don't know how to detect the local charset.  Up to now
I've just hard-coded it.  This is what gui-sdl does (bad!).  gui-gtk-2.0
retrieves it using g_get_charset, but since we don't have access to glib
elsewhere we can't do that.

jason