Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2374) multi-language client-server patch

To: matusik_s@xxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2374) multi-language client-server patch
From: "Jason Short via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 00:10:14 -0800

mateusz stefek via RT wrote:
> Dnia 2003.01.23 23:07 Jason Short via RT napisa³(a):
>
>>mateusz stefek via RT wrote:
>>
>>>See incoming/fims.tgz
>>>
>>>I've spent many hours writing and testing it, so have fun
>>
>>Ok, one more final question...
>>
>>It has been pointed out that you could translate into the client's
>>locale at the server end.  That is, the client could send the server
>>their $LANG and the server could translate directly into that
>>language.

> There is one problem,
> How can you tell gettext that you wan't to use other language?
> dcgettext isn't good enough for this.
> I think that the only solution is to use included and patched gettext.

Oops, I knew that...

I've seen it done that the program manually changes the locale, calls
gettext to translate into that locale, then changes the locale back (if
necessary).  Needless to say, this is ugly - and probably error-prone
since you're counting on the locale being configured correctly.

jason