Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Graphic resource editor, and an architecture proposal

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Graphic resource editor, and an architecture proposal
From: "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 12:57:57 -0500

Per I. Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I don't see any attachments...

My error.  I'll send it today, after I make the change to burst the artists
attribute into an artists metadata file.

> This should have been documented somewhere, though. Perhaps someone should
> write a general modpack README.

If my architecture change is approved, one of the things I will deliver
along with my patch is a tile-editing HOWTO.

> > <para>The aggregate of all FreeCiv data files is functionally similar
> > to a Windows registry, and even uses a syntax resembling the textual
> > portions of registries.But the creep and corruption problems we
> > noted with the Windows registry don't crop up here because no program
> > (either within or outside the FreeCiv suite)
> > <emphasis>writes</emphasis> to these files.It's a read-only
> > registry edited only by the game's maintainers.</para>
>
> I don't know if that is relevant, but savegames are also registry files,
> and they are written by freeciv.

That is indeed relevant.

> > FIRST PROPOSED CHANGE: Replace the tile-array files with directories,
> > one for each array, with the tiles as named files beneath them. Nuke
> > all the tile-coordinate crap in the specfiles.
>
> I agree. This would make it a lot easier to add stuff.

You like it.  Dorje likes it, with reservations about backward compatibility
which I have already addressed.  Paul says it's "exciting".  Should I take
this as direction to produce a patch?

> > SECOND PROPOSED CHANGE: Consolidate all the tileset-specific graphics
> > into one directory called 'graphics'. All image lookup calls dive
> > into this directory. Hierarchy beneath it goes
> > 2. Looking up a flag by nation and preferred size: ("flag", "usa",
> > "30x30", "engels"). Look under graphics/flag/usa.  See that there
> > are two directories,26x20 and 30x21.Aha!  That's a size.  By
> > least-squares metric the closest match is 30x21.Look for "usa"
> > under there. See a file.  Return it.
>
> Don't agree. I think it makes more sense to standardize on a certain size,
> at least for flags and misc images.

I must disagree.  We can't count on either screen size or resolution
remaining constant.  Therefore, unless we're going to move graphics
to a scalable vector format and have the client auto-resize them, we
need to be able to support multiple sizes.