[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2674) Freeciv Setup.

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2674) Freeciv Setup.
From: "John Tomlinson via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 18:53:55 -0800

Well, we'll do this in order.
I'm unaware of any restrictions on distribution due to whatever was used
to package a given program...
But I'm not a lawyer. I Just do stuff. As far as sources goes, I am
going to for the moment assume you mean
the source script used to create the .exe setup bundle. Sure. I always
save these things. Lesee.... Ergh.
Unreadable by any tool other than it's creator. And anyway, I like the
idea of using a free tool as well.
I can still send the mindvision source .vct (The script it uses to
generate the package is saved as a .vct)
if you care to see it. But it's pretty damn basic. All I was basically
asked for was something that a guy
could simply click, and at the end, that makes a shortcut in
desktop/start menu for it, that worked.
I Had briefly, mischeviously, pondered creating a monstrous thing that
included a cygwin system that
would be used to compile a fresh copy for each machine. Then I came to
my senses.... All they wanted
was for it to be simple and work. This can be accomplished in many many
many different ways.
Plus, by 'Free Tool' You mean freeware and/or open source? Not
shareware? Which drops out
90% of what's availiable. And I'm hardly familiar with them all. So,
Inno appears to be free,
unless you guys have a different reccomendation. It doesn't appear to
require anything that can't
be accomplished with even a batch file, anyway. I can redo it in  Inno. NP.
Just let me know if you want me to even continue to bother,
seeing as Andreas appears to have it covered already. Email me back if
you do.
Meantime I'll play with inno. And the other Win32 versions of Freeciv,
because I haven't even
touched the X-Enabled Win32 ones. Don't even have a clue as to how to
set that up, and as you
said, you'd want one for each version.
Happy New Year!
                      John Tomlinson