[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2565) Plural form needed for unit types

To: freeciv@xxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2565) Plural form needed for unit types
From: "Jason Short via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 16:28:43 -0800

On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 06:54, Guest via RT wrote:

> Do you really want me to go through the whole code and show you every
> message that needs plural forms for unit types? ;)

No; a better question is how often players see such strings?  IMO it
happens occasionally - often enough to make a change.

But, there are several other problems:

How can we pluralize these so that they can correctly be used with PL_?
The pluralization needs to be able to add 3 forms for Polish and
Romanian or it is counter-productive.  And I see no way to get xgettext
recognize this in the ruleset files without adding support for PL_ to
the registry code.

Another problem is that some units have proper singular/plural forms
(battleship versus battleships) while other units are "plural" even when
there's only one of them (settlers versus settlers).  It doesn't make
much sense to say "One settlers upgraded to engineers"; it is more
correct to say "One unit of settlers upgraded to engineers".  Since this
latter method can be easily implemented, I'm in favor of that instead of
providing plurals for the unit names.

jason