[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nondenominational calendar patch

To: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nondenominational calendar patch
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 19:17:20 +0100

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 06:49:37PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> This patch makes all necessary changes to go fom BC/AD (Before
> Christ/Anno Domini) to BCE/CE (Before Common Era/Common Era).  A good
> thing unless we want to assume that all Freeciv's future users will
> be Christians.
>
> If you haven't encountered this usage before, that's because it's
> mostly an academic one.  Other educated native speakers of English
> recognize it but don't generate it spomtaneously.

I am an educated non-native speaker of English, and indeed I've never
encountered these terms before.  To me this is enough enough reason
not to adopt them for Freeciv.  (Besides, the whole idea is ridiculous.
We are definitely referring to the Christian calendar here (instated by
the Christian church) and I can't think how the label "the common age"
is any help to anybody.  What is this supposed to mean?  Did we have
"separate ages" before Christ arrived on earth?  Is this supposed to make
non-Christians feel better ort something?)

The legends and classes are nice BTW.  Perhaps calendars should be
nation-bound ...

--
Reinier