[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#2594) Re: Nondenominational calendar patch

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#2594) Re: Nondenominational calendar patch
From: "Sam Barnett-Cormack via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 05:54:42 -0800

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> This patch makes all necessary changes to go fom BC/AD (Before
> Christ/Anno Domini) to BCE/CE (Before Common Era/Common Era).  A good
> thing unless we want to assume that all Freeciv's future users will
> be Christians.

I cannot agree - I feel we will alienate more people (still not many) by
using terms they do not understand, than we will be using a epoch
reference they disagree with. Most people who would 'disagree' with
BC/AD won't be offended - they will go "shucks, there's another one"
and get on with their life - quite likely still playing freeciv. Why
will they not care? Because - this happens *all* the time.

Maybe the usage should change. A computer game is not the place to
catalyze this change.

--

Sam Barnett-Cormack