[Freeciv-Dev] Re: ICS and corruption (waste)

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv Development List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: ICS and corruption (waste)
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 18:46:19 -0800 (PST)

--- "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Dec 2002, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> > In some recent emails I felt a sentiment that corruption increasing with
> > distance from the capital can help battle ICS.
>
> The anti-ICS measures involving corruption are relative to the number of
> cities, not distance to capital. Of course, corruption is reduced relative
> to distance to capital, so this will reduce the effect of these measures.

Not to worry Greg. The ICS measure I was proposing, ( I assume you mean me in
the recent emails) revolves around no of cities. What I could use some help
with is some way of not penalizing warmonger types. I think the conquer the
world types *should* not suffer ICS penalties.

Per, what's happening with my waste patch?

My idea involves counting the number of unusable tiles per city radius around
each city. An ICS player will have lots of squares used by other cities, a Non
ICS player won't.

Then we multiply corruption/waste by the no of tiles used by other cities. For
a non ICS player, there will probably be no penalty. An ICS player will end up
with no shields/trade.

ICSer:
Example: 3 size 3 cities, all within a 3 X 3 square.  City A,B,C use 3 squares
each. All cities have 6 squares within their city radius they cannot use.

Multiply corruption/waste by that amount.

Big city player:
Size 12 city: City radius has no tiles used by other cities(Important. Only
other cities count in making tiles unavailable. Enemy units must not count!).

This scheme falls apart when Democratic governments come into play. But a lot
of the game is played in Republic/Despotism.

>   - Per

Aloha,
RK.

Waving away a cloud of smoke, I look up, and am blinded by a bright, white
light. It's God. No, not Richard Stallman, or Linus Torvalds, but God. In a
booming voice, He says: "THIS IS A SIGN. USE LINUX, THE FREE UNIX SYSTEM FOR
THE 386. -Matt Welsh

Sacrilegious. Everyone knows that Richard Stallman IS God. --RK