[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Changed AI behaviour in 1.14 BETA

To: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Changed AI behaviour in 1.14 BETA
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 11:38:51 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Christian Knoke wrote:
> having played some games with beta code, I've got the impression
> that the AI behaviour has changed since 1.13. In my games - which
> may not be representative - the AI rarely build ships. It goes for
> tactics rather then for navigation. This givesme (as a human player)
> a lot more time to develop, I don't get disturbed by that nasty steamships
> which kill my legionaeres in the cities, in a certain phase of the game.

Probably a side effect of generalising the evaluation of attack units that
I did some time ago.

This is going to be a persistent problem - when generalising and removing
ugly kludges in the code, the AI may get worse.

A solution is to move such kludges into the rulesets. For exampe, I think
that Navigation and Steam Engine should have a new tech flag AI_Goal which
makes the AI crazy to get them, since it is almost impossible to calculate
beforehand that you really need these techs (maybe not Navigation,
but certainly Steam Engine).

  - Per