[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2415) autoattack patch

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2415) autoattack patch
From: "Per I. Mathisen via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 14:21:38 -0800

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Raimar Falke via RT wrote:
> > Ok, you want to know why some players want to have the possibility to
> > remove the autoattack status from some units.
> >
> > 1. is stacks. I have different units and some units have low chances to
> > win. I want that the strong units can attack.

This can be solved. The units that are eligible for autoattack can be
pushed into a units list. Then we can start the autoattack check with the
units that have highest win_chance. That way stronger units may always
attack first.

(Notice that this still doesn't change the fact that the algorithm is
single-unit-optimal: It looks at the survival odds of one unit rather than
what is optimal for the situation as a whole. But this is an argument
against the algorithm, not server-side only autoattack. And I'd argue the
algorithm is likely to be situation optimal as well for the majority of
situations.)

> > 2. Until a cease-fire without embassy is enabled its not possible to
> > stop war.

Ok, this is a problem. But I think it should be solved more generally by
allowing at least some diplomacy without an embassy.

> > 3. Whats with a submarine with 8 cruise misseles? Should the sub attack?
> > I don't think so. There are 8 other units which can attack.

This can be solved in server-only autoattack with a simple rule:
Transported units should attack before transporters, if at all possible.

> > 4. There are situation where i don't like to loose units because the
> > autoattackalgorithm isn't perfect.

Please specify.

Also, why should autoattack be perfect?

> > Can we have different autoattack algorithms where the player can
> > choose from?

Please give examples of such algorithms and how to change them. I suspect
this would make it too complex. I would like simple rules.

So the autoattack rule would be: When a unit moves into a new tile, it may
be automatically attacked by the enemy unit that becomes adjacent to it
which has highest win chance and is not transporting anything or there are
no other units that can attack until each such unit has been given the
opportunity to autoattack or the moving unit is destroyed.

  - Per