[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2433) Techs with "Never" as req1 and req2 are dele

To: coppensbart@xxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2433) Techs with "Never" as req1 and req2 are deleted
From: "Raimar Falke via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 23:54:10 -0800

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 09:57:19AM -0800, coppensbart@xxxxx via RT wrote:

> When making a modpack or scenario, it is sometimes necessary to give certain
> nations/races different techs. In Civilization, that was possible by the
> means of setting the 2 prerequisites to None. Trying that in Freeciv doesn't
> work. So I was advised to use "Never". That sounded right, but when I try
> that, I get the message
> 0: tech "Wargs": req1 leads to removed tech "Fire of Morgoth"
> This is an the exerpt from the techfile (a modified version of paulz's):
>
> [advance_fire]
> name     = _("Fire of Morgoth")
> req1     = "Never"
> req2     = "Never"
> flags    = ""
>
> [advance_wargs]
> name     = _("Wargs")
> req1     = "Fire of Morgoth"
> req2     = "None"
> flags    = ""
>
> It seems that that tech is deleted instead of being usable in savegames/the
> map editor. For advanced scenarios/modpacks, a fix for this is really
> necessary.

This code responsible for this

  /* Some more consistency checking:
     Non-removed techs depending on removed techs is too
     broken to fix by default, so die.
  */
  for( i=A_FIRST; i<game.num_tech_types; i++ ) {
    if (tech_exists(i)) {
      a = &advances[i];
      if (!tech_exists(a->req[0])) {
        freelog(LOG_FATAL, "tech \"%s\": req1 leads to removed tech \"%s\"
(%s)",
             a->name, advances[a->req[0]].name, filename);
        exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
      }

This code was there at the time the CVS was used. So I have no idea
what may break if we change it.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx