[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2414) tileset font problems

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2414) tileset font problems
From: "Reinier Post via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 05:40:46 -0800

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 03:45:16PM -0800, Jason Short via RT wrote:

> Tilesets are allowed to specify fonts, but this system is broken in two
> ways.
>
> 1. The fonts are specified as X fonts, which many clients cannot
> understand (and currently ignore).
>
> 2. There are just a few fonts, and they are hard-coded into the GUI code
> and use automatically by the GUI in many places.  For instance the "city
> productions font" may be used on the radar screen for the intro freeciv
> text, just for lack of anything better.

This suggests that all font names are hardcoded into the code.
But there are font configuration files: X resources for Xaw,
and ~/freeciv.rc for the GTK+ client.  The correct syntax of the latter
even changed aroudn the time 1.13.0 came out, as I noticed when I was
producing the FUADEC t-shirt.

> Vasco had some ideas for solutions to #1: use CSS-style font
> descriptions, or .ini-style font descriptions, which hopefully can be
> interpreted by all clients.  I know little about this.

I don't think the Xaw client will ever be portable to a non-X GUI system,
so it seems to me that X fonts strings specified with X resources
are the correct way to specify its fonts.

Generally speaking, I don't think font specifications are GUI system
independent.  I mean, you just do not *want* to specify the city name
font in a GUI independent way.

> For #2, I think we need a font system similar to the current sprite
> system.  The GUI should provide a "struct font" and functions such as
> load_font().  The core code (not the GUI!) can then track these font
> structures and pass around the font that should be used in each situation.

I doubt this.  Different GUI environments have different font
handling capabilities.

--
Reinier