[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2370) Path finding

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2370) Path finding
From: "Gregory Berkolaiko via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 03:35:14 -0800

On Sun, 24 Nov 2002, Raimar Falke via RT wrote:

> > > Hehe. I got you ;). Inlining the queue functions via macros is dead
> > > ugly.
> >
> > :)))
> >
> > But I never said anything against inlining!  You are probably confusing me
> > with someone else!
>
> You were using and defending macros. Do you must be against inlines ;)

I was defining macros because I got harrassed by Mike when he saw inlines
in my flying AI code :(

IMO inlined functions look nicer and are easier to understand and debug
and you don't have to use the brackets and slashes everywhere.  But I am
not qualified to speak about the performance and portability issues.

> > But inlining can only be done within one file, isn't it?
>
> The compiler has to see the code. Either you inline methods of your

Of course.  Same as macros, really.

BTW, you code gets optimized more than mine (because mine is a victim of
premature optimization).  So the speed difference on my computer is now
about 26-36% (depending on the amount of inlining).

G.