[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#949) city report fields don't sort well

To: markus.buechele@xxxxxx, flyguy@xxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#949) city report fields don't sort well
From: "ChrisK@xxxxxxxx via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 16:06:52 -0800

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 03:39:55PM -0800, Jason Short via RT wrote:
> ChrisK@xxxxxxxx via RT wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 03:14:46PM -0800, Jason Short via RT wrote:
> >
> >>[ChrisK@xxxxxxxx - Sat Nov 16 22:56:27 2002]:

> >>I don't see what your patch does that mine does not?
> >

> > My patch (which I think doesn't apply to cvs any more) sorts
> > all sub columns of a given column, e.g from F/P/T it sorted
> > by Food, then Production as a second criteria, then Trade as
> > a third.
>
> Ahh.  Frankly, I don't think this additional behavior is worth all of
> the extra code it takes.  If you want to sort by these additional fields
> you can add them directly to the city report (F, P, and T individually
> instead of F/P/T).  What are the odds that it is exactly that method of
> sorting that you want?

My patch was a small and certain fix for 1.13. The new configurable sub
columns in the city report - which I just discovered - are superior, at
least in respect of sorting.

But I must add, that when I switch on these sub columns, the city report
looks far more like Excel (tm) than a game. I really miss explanatory table
headers here, as well as some optical structure, like column dividers for
grouping the sub columns.

Also there is a bug with i18n, I see a de.po header line in the place
of the column headers. Maybe you can reproduce this with

LANG=de_DE@euro civclient -t trident -P none

> I do think that this is the sort of behavior that should be supported in
> general: sorting first by one field and then by another.  But it should
> be possible for the user to control it, otherwise it is of little use IMO.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/