Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2261) [Patch] Remove const

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2261) [Patch] Remove const
From: "Anthony J. Stuckey via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 13:43:46 -0800

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 11:56:07AM -0800, Raimar Falke via RT wrote:
> The attached patch removes superfluous consts in the type of the
> return value of various functions.

        I'm probably showing my ignorance of C esoterica here, but why are
these superfluous?

        Is the fact that they are functions (which can theoretically return
anything) destructive of the "const"-ness of their return?  One could
imagine a string pointer initialized and never changed through the rest of
execution.  (Is that not strong enough to deserve "const"?)