Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: bug: road on ocean (PR#2074)

To: Tom Goulet <tomg@xxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: bug: road on ocean (PR#2074)
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 12:13:45 -0400

At 07:21 PM 02/09/19 -0700, Tom Goulet wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>Here is a screenshot of Freeciv which shows a road quite happily
>hovering above the ocean, right beside the city of Zvenigorod.
>http://em.ca/~tomg/tmp/freeciv_road_on_ocean.png
>
>Unfortunately (for my amusement) the road doesn't work like a bridge.

I used to build sea roads in the original PayCiv to boost trade - just
load an engineer on a transport and you could do interesting things in
some early versions.

But since land units can't move on the sea, the road bonus isn't
available like is is on (say) river tiles. Perhaps a transport should
get HoverFoil move bonus or something along such routes :-).

Allowing landunits to move on road/railed coastal tiles (bridge or
chunnel) would be rather interesting though. One might need to wait
for engineers (vs workers) to be able to build the road/rail. Or
maybe CombinedArms (helicopters) would be the activating tech.

Generalized abilities should make these things trivial to add to any
ruleset.

>--
>TomG
>
>http://web.em.ca/~tomg/contact.html