Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: killstack patch for February 8th CVS

To: Freeciv Developers ML <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: killstack patch for February 8th CVS
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 10:07:06 +0000 (GMT)

On 31 Aug 2002, Davide Pagnin wrote:
> > I've changed my mind about this patch. I don't like what it does, and
> > would prefer freeciv is kept away from this civ3ism. Hence I will not take
> > this patch despite what I wrote in the patchlist.

> If no maintainer 'like' a feature, and thus no of them take care of it
> (applying the patch) that feature will never be into Freeciv?

I should rather have said "don't think it is a good idea" instead of
"don't like it", but if all maintainers think the patch is a bad idea,
then it won't get into cvs. Obviously.

> Anyway, on the killstack concept, I don't like it much, too.
>
> BUT, if the patch is well done (code style rules) and it is configurable
> as an option (as it seems from your post) I don't see any valid reason
> to not having it applied to CVS, eventually in a somewhat distant future
> we will have also a civ3 compatible mode, but for the moment this is not
> the case.

Code style isn't the only criteria for if a patch is good. There is also
how much it impacts on speed, game complexity, option creep, code
maintainability, AI programming and so on.

The killstack option will not go well with the AI. And it is not a cost
that I see weighted up by its benefits.

Yours
Per

"I don't see why people are so upset about cloning sheep. American
television networks have been doing that to their audiences for years."
-- Jello Biafra