Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: killstack patch for February 8th CVS

To: Freeciv Developers ML <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: killstack patch for February 8th CVS
From: Davide Pagnin <nightmare@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 31 Aug 2002 09:07:14 +0200

On Sat, 2002-08-31 at 03:25, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, James Christensen wrote:
> > This is Martin Olveyra's killstack patch minus his
> > enhanced combat system.
> >
> > Adding killstack = 0 to game.ruleset changes a
> > successful attack on a stack of units from killing the
> > whole stack to only killing the immediate defender.
>
> I've changed my mind about this patch. I don't like what it does, and
> would prefer freeciv is kept away from this civ3ism. Hence I will not take
> this patch despite what I wrote in the patchlist.

huh?

What this means?

If no maintainer 'like' a feature, and thus no of them take care of it
(applying the patch) that feature will never be into Freeciv?

If this this the reasoning behind you're announcement, we absolutely
need this to be clear.

I think that Freeciv isn't the private garden where one maintainers or
another play with his pet...

Anyway, on the killstack concept, I don't like it much, too.

BUT, if the patch is well done (code style rules) and it is configurable
as an option (as it seems from your post) I don't see any valid reason
to not having it applied to CVS, eventually in a somewhat distant future
we will have also a civ3 compatible mode, but for the moment this is not
the case.