Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Re: How to solve ICS - increasing settlercost]

To: Thomas Strub <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Re: How to solve ICS - increasing settlercost]
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 16:09:02 +0100

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 08:29:11PM +0200, Thomas Strub wrote:
> I replaced punit->unit_cost by unit_value(pplayer, id) but my knowledge
> about pointers wasn't good enough to make the client correct.
>
> Playerdependend unitcosts can be useful for ai-bony or handicap, so i
> hope that someone is looking at my changes and make them correct.

        You might also want to look at effect-cost.patch at
http://freecivac.sourceforge.net/ (part of the impr-gen patches) which
implements general unit cost and improvement cost modifiers. These can
be applied per player or per city, and to any class of unit. The patch
touches many of the same parts of the code as yours, although the type
of modifier (simple percentage, rather than a function of civ size) is
different. The code looks good to me, but I guess only playtesting will
show whether it's effective at preventing ICS.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"So you found a girl who thinks really deep thoughts,