Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Metaserver disconnecting players (PR#1952)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Metaserver disconnecting players (PR#1952)
From: Davide Pagnin <nightmare@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 01:28:34 -0700 (PDT)

I think that this bug entry, can be seen as two different problems, and
perhaps two different bug.

1) During nation selection chat is frozen, thus it seems to a client
point of view that the server is not working. Moreover, if a player
fails to choose a nation, the game will not proceed and other player can
do nothing other than leaving the game

2) If, for any reason, you get disconnected, you can't join the game any
more, because the server does remove a player that disconnect at this
point AND will not allow new players to join.

For the first problem, I'll send a patch, so that chat isn't frozen
during nation selection.

NOTE: A more complex patch, that solve this same issue and another one,
has been submitted by Raimer, as 1883 bug patch.
IMHO Raimar's solution is better, but it touches more code, thus for
patching a stable code, this smaller patch can be considered as well.

For the second problem, it is necessary to think which solution can be
the most useful.

My 2 cents are to aitoggle players that left the game during this phase.
[This open the possibility that a game started from human players became
an AI-only game, but this can happen anyway, or am I wrong?]
I suggest to aitoggle, because in this way, a player can join the game
if it get disconnected for a network failure or other unwanted reason.