Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Celebrate message was: Re: new bug? (PR#1872)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Celebrate message was: Re: new bug? (PR#1872)
From: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 21:13:52 -0700 (PDT)

Per I. Mathisen wrote:
On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Christian Knoke wrote:

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 07:24:02AM -0700, doctorkaeding@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

In the messages it says "... celebrate Mr. Day".
Shouldn't that be "Mr. <name here> Day"?

Uhm, read a thousand times, even noticed as a bug, but never
reported.

I faintly remember that it was like this in civ2 as well. Not that it
matters, IMHO, but it is not necessarily a bug.

Also, the proper change, if you want name in there, is not "We Love The %s
%s Day" but "We Love %s %s Day".

What do other people think?

I always assumed this was not a bug but just a feature that doesn't generalize well.

For instance, we have "We Love The President Day" and "We Love The King Day"; these are clearly what the holidays are supposed to be called. But in anarchy the title is "Mr." and "Ms.", so these don't work too well.

For the record, the full list of titles in the default ruleset is:
  Mr.
  Ms.
  Emperor
  Empress
  King
  Queen
  Comrade
  Consul
  President

I would say the best solution is not to change the code (which works well in most cases) but to come up with a better title for anarchist leaders. Unfortunately, I have no good suggestions.

An alternate (and radical) idea would be to prevent city celebrations under anarchy.

jason