Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: One more thing against "smallpox"...

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: One more thing against "smallpox"...
From: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 10:23:14 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> > final defense factor = unit defence factor * (1 + city size / 10)
> >
> > As one can see, it'll double defence ability of the city resident units,
> > when city has size of 10. Which will again add more reality to the game,
> > because in fact it's much harder to conquer large urban complex rather
> > than village. And even a village of size 1 gives the defenders some
> > advantage against fighting in the plains
>
> IMHO, this is represented by city walls, indicating a fortified city. This
> way it makes sense to think of Stalingrad as a city with city walls in
> freeciv, even though it had no city walls in reality.

  City walls should remain as _additional_ improvement, which influence
should be added to proposed one. But the effect proposed above will have
it's influence even when attacking a city with artillery, which ignores
city walls.

  Yes, you're right - Stalingrad hasn't any city walls, and was hard to
conquer; isn't it a vote for my proposal?

                                pozdrawiam / regards

                                                Zbigniew Baniewski