Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: path finding

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv Development List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: path finding
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 13:49:54 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> Greg/Raimar,
>
> Are you planing to use the new path finding also in the server? The server
> is currently used for path finding by the client only for aircraft (this
> should be changed) and for aircraft rebasing on turn end (I want to
> replace this, see another post, in any case we can use teleport instead).
> Once we eliminate the two cases mentioned, we can move the server-side
> goto from server/ and into ai/ and we give it some much needed cleanup. In
> my opinion the server should not need to have access to any path finding
> implementation, this is an AI and client issue.

Yes.  You are right.  This is the goal, to make same path-finding usable
by both client/agents and AI.

> (Note that path walking is a different issue and should still be supported
> by the server.)

Right.

> The aircraft goto in the client should use the same code as the other
> client goto, and stop at maximum aircraft fuel range. I don't understand
> why this isn't done already, it looks almost as if it was begun and then
> just not finished for some reason.

Aircraft goto involves refuel point hopping, something which is only done
in the server.  I have what I consider an improved refuel point hopping as
part of the flying AI patch.

Another way to do it is through is_position_dangerous callback in the
future general p-f.  That would be much slower than the present
implementation I am afraid.

G.