Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] path finding

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] path finding
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 12:41:10 +0000 (GMT)

Greg/Raimar,

Are you planing to use the new path finding also in the server? The server
is currently used for path finding by the client only for aircraft (this
should be changed) and for aircraft rebasing on turn end (I want to
replace this, see another post, in any case we can use teleport instead).
Once we eliminate the two cases mentioned, we can move the server-side
goto from server/ and into ai/ and we give it some much needed cleanup. In
my opinion the server should not need to have access to any path finding
implementation, this is an AI and client issue.

(Note that path walking is a different issue and should still be supported
by the server.)

The aircraft goto in the client should use the same code as the other
client goto, and stop at maximum aircraft fuel range. I don't understand
why this isn't done already, it looks almost as if it was begun and then
just not finished for some reason.

Yours
Per