Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: CVS Development branch

To: Freeciv Developers ML <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: CVS Development branch
From: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 06:15:53 +0200

On 2002-07-17 20:33:00, Reinier Post wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 10:36:30AM +0200, Davide Pagnin wrote:
> >     Hi all!
>
> Hello,
>
> > I propose to take the decision to maintain two branches of the CVS:
> >
> > 1. Main development branch, named 1.14.x-devel, and every time a new
> > feature is added, increment the patch level 1.14.(x+1)-devel and so on.
> >
> > 2. Main stable branch, named 1.13.x, and release it every time that a
> > number of bugfixes are introduced.
>
> The decision was made to try this in a slightly different way,
> by creating a freeciv-test project on sourceforge.

"The decision was made" sounds like there was an official decision from
the freeciv community/maintainers... That's not really true...

> I don't know what the status of that attempt is.

Well, after the first releases there was some discussion about how
freeciv-test should be used and the result it seems is that it's not
used at all... Per told me I was welcome to do it my way a while ago
but I've been busy having vacation... ;)

Anyway, what I wanted from freeciv-test was a branch focued on users
that would like to test the newest features before they are stable...
It's primary advantage for developers would be to get code tested...
To make things managable only code that is expected to end up in stable
freeciv within the foreseeable future should be added to freeciv-test...

Of course, if we start adding features earlier to main cvs (as I think we
should) there would be no need for freeciv-test as described above...

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)