Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bombers/Fighters no longer obsolete (PR#1628)

To: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bombers/Fighters no longer obsolete (PR#1628)
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 21:57:00 -0700 (PDT)

--- Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 06:32:58PM +0200, Per I Mathisen wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> > > I prefer the +3 firepower. But I wouldn't object to 20 attack strength.
> >
> > I suppose you mean +1 firepower. Anyway, both that and 20 attack strength
> > have one obvious flaw: It supposes stealth bombers carry more payload than
> > other bombers, which is wrong. Ordinary bombers (think B52) carry more
> > payload. Stealth bombers (B2, F117) are used as a first strike weapon to
> > take out enemy radars and C&C because they can fly in undetected. They are
> > much harder to shoot down since they show up on radar so fleetingly that
> > you cannot lock missiles on them.
>
> From the historical/realistic view this is correct. But also the
> others are right that the unit isn't a good one in gameplay. This is
> another reason why we should get a historic correct ruleset and
> another ruleset which balances the units more.
>
> Since in its current form the unit is in a form where nobody will use
> it I would vote for the increasing the attack strength/firepower.

Nothing has happened since I touched off that big debate about Stealth Units.
Can I get at least the Stealth.diff patch commmitted? It just gives Stealth
units partial invis, which is just common sense.

I can also send in a patch implementing a bigger badder stealth bomber. Per is
quite wrong about the weakness of mech inf vs stealth. For a start, mech inf
only costs 50 shields. Think about it. Even with an improved attack, 3 Mech Inf
will easily beat a Stealth Bomber(160 shields).

Specify if you want firepower 3 or increased attackpower.

>       Raimar
>
> --
>  email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  "Only one human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari
>   fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your
>   lives, be somewhere else."
>     -- Ambassador Delenn, "Severed Dreams," Babylon 5

Aloha,
RK.

In marriage, as in war, it is permitted to take every advantage of the enemy.