[Freeciv-Dev] Re: For the wishlist: initial_units in the rulesets

To: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: For the wishlist: initial_units in the rulesets
From: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:20:56 +0200 (MEST)

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 10:57:50PM -0400, Miguel Farah wrote:
> > I'm currently working in a scenario where I want each player to begin
> > with two settlers in a trireme in the sea. The rulesets allow to
> > indicate how many initial settlers and explorers will be, but no other
> > units. What I've done is hack the units.ruleset to transform the
> > explorer (useless in my map) to a sea unit, but it's ugly AND I'm not
> > sure it'll work.

Note that it will not work if the "dispersion" option is used.

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
> This gets complicated quickly. Should the two settlers put in the
> trireme or one in the ship and one on land. What if you have two ships
> and two settlers? What if you have more units than space in the ships?
> So I what about another syntax like:
>
>   initial_units="trireme(settler, settler)"
> or
>   initial_units="trireme(2*settler)"
> and
>   initial_units="trireme(2*settler), trireme(settler,explorer)"

I would rather solve this in a more general way. I have an "events
ruleset" idea which I think would be better suited to this task. I don't
have the draft of it here and I'll be leaving for a few days, so I'll post
it when I return.

Yours,
Per

76.4% of all statistics are made up