[Freeciv-Dev] Re: SDL port / disaster

To: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: SDL port / disaster
From: Daniel Bennett <ddbennet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 19:16:08 -0400

> Well, the Xaw client has been poorly maintained for quite a while (more
> than a year i believe). It will require some additional effort if you want
> to add the  other features that are contained in the GTK+ client in the
> future. I believe the Amiga (MUI) and Win32 clients were based from the
> GTK+ client.

> I can understand why that was your first choice since i guess you are
> probably much more familiarized with the Xaw client.

        It wasn't familiarity, actually, it *was* because it was behind the
curve in features..  MUI, Win32 and Be wouldn't enable me to do compile
and compare and with Gtk I ran the risk of conflicting with current
development.

> Making the auto* patch is pretty easy. If you desire, there are people
> here who can do that for you. And BTW, by developer consensus some time

        All right, I'll just rename the directory on my own and hope someone
helps me integrate it once I get CVS up.

> ago we decided the name is Freeciv not FreeCiv. It is even easier to
> type. :-)

        Sorry, I've been a Java programmer for a couple of years and the
StuddlyCaps starts rotting your brain after a while (be thankful I'm not
calling it freeCiv :).

        dan