[Freeciv-Dev] Re: packet batches? (was: [Patch] Making city report list

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: packet batches? (was: [Patch] Making city report list faster)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 21:35:05 +0200

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 08:38:47PM +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:

> > It is indeed possible for a faster client (faster means here faster to
> > push requests into the incoming socket buffer of the server) to get
> > more requests executed per "cycle".
>
> But where is the advantage? Neither server cycles nor network volume
> is a limited ressource. I still don't get it.

I'm not sure about the CPU.  I said the AI takes time, which is true,
but it doesn't interfere with packet processing.  But network volume
is a serious factor.  I think the server still hangs when it transfers
a big map to a player with a poor connection.

But perhaps it's not really a factor during normal gameplay.
Besides, even when the server is changed to process incoming
packets more fairly, clients can still cluster their moves.

--
Reinier