[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Todo-list in www.freeciv.org totally out of date!

To: Joona Kiiski <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Todo-list in www.freeciv.org totally out of date!
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 15:17:21 +0200

On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 03:37:24PM +0300, Joona Kiiski wrote:
> Just wanted to point out that Todo-list (www.freeciv.org/todo.html) is
> totally out of date!
>
> I think that that list is very very old. Look at it!
>
> Short term:
>
> * Disasters
>     Floods, droughts, famine, earthquake, meteorites, tornado,
>     volcano, hurricane & terrorist activity.
>
> I'm quite sure if someone would send patch to implement these it would
> _never_ get included in CVS!

Ack.

> * Client-side API:
>     Designing an API to separate the client code into
>     front-end UI code and back-end comms code. Having
>     this is essential to the future of client-side AI's,
>     and also to solving the client integrity problem.
>
> Isn't this exactly what agents are for!

I interpret this more like: code should be moved into common/ if
possible and useful. Code should be moved into client/*_common if
possible and useful. Basically the GUIs are copy-paste-and-modify and
so currently you always have to change all GUIs.

> * Run-time scripting:
>    Scripting would be a very useful Freeciv extension. As well as
>    opening the possibility of writing AI clients as scripts, it
>    would also allow human players to have helper macros and other
>    useful things. It might also be useful for future Freeciv
>    unit-testing.
>
>    Recently, the FSF announced that they had chosen GUILE
>    as their standard and preferred application scripting
>    language. Based on Scheme (a LISP derivative), GUILE is
>    rapidly gaining in popularity.
>
>    Basing Freeciv's scripting on GUILE would allow us to
>    tap the wealth of AI experience in the LISP and Scheme
>    worlds, and would attract yet another audience
>    cross-section.
>

> Agents, agents, agents. I think we are no longer interested in GUILE or
> LISP or whatever...

The idea of agents are language independent. However for the low-level
ones (CMA, SMA) you need CPU power and there is only one possible
solution possible. For higher agents like squads planning there may be
possible implementation.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "At the beginning of the week, we sealed ten BSD programmers