[Freeciv-Dev] Todo-list in www.freeciv.org totally out of date!

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Todo-list in www.freeciv.org totally out of date!
From: Joona Kiiski <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 15:37:24 +0300

Just wanted to point out that Todo-list (www.freeciv.org/todo.html) is
totally out of date!

I think that that list is very very old. Look at it!

Short term:

* Disasters
    Floods, droughts, famine, earthquake, meteorites, tornado,
    volcano, hurricane & terrorist activity.

I'm quite sure if someone would send patch to implement these it would
_never_ get included in CVS!

* Client-side API:
    Designing an API to separate the client code into
    front-end UI code and back-end comms code. Having
    this is essential to the future of client-side AI's,
    and also to solving the client integrity problem.

Isn't this exactly what agents are for!

* Make use of the Wonders tiles
    The wonder tiles havent been implemented
    yet :( Somebody please help!

Can't understand this..

* AI stuff
    AI doesn't know:
    about democracy.
    about trade routes.
    about peace.
    the value of towns.

Well... this one is the only correct  :)

Long term:

* Run-time scripting:
   Scripting would be a very useful Freeciv extension. As well as
   opening the possibility of writing AI clients as scripts, it
   would also allow human players to have helper macros and other
   useful things. It might also be useful for future Freeciv
   unit-testing.

   Recently, the FSF announced that they had chosen GUILE
   as their standard and preferred application scripting
   language. Based on Scheme (a LISP derivative), GUILE is
   rapidly gaining in popularity.

   Basing Freeciv's scripting on GUILE would allow us to
   tap the wealth of AI experience in the LISP and Scheme
   worlds, and would attract yet another audience
   cross-section.

Agents, agents, agents. I think we are no longer interested in GUILE or
LISP or whatever...

--
Joona Kiiski <joona.kiiski@xxxxxx>

P.S. Someone please update my email-address in PEOPLE-file :)