[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Linux saved game crashes client on Solaris (PR#1522)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Linux saved game crashes client on Solaris (PR#1522)
From: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 03:42:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 31 May 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > > Attributes aren't endian safe. CMA uses attributes.
> >
> > Shouldn't they be?  savegames are supposed to be portable?

> There is no easy way to make this automatic. It would only affect
> clients which switch during a game the architecture. IMHO the
> cost-benefit ratio isn't nice. I would vote to list it as a limitation.

If we cannot fix endianness of attributes, then we have to detect wrong
endianness, stop freeciv from loading the data, and regenerate it somehow.

I don't have problem with dropping worklists and recalculating CMA data,
but savegames _must_ be portable, otherwise we cannot have scenarios and
bug reports become more difficult.

This issue will make attributes less useful if left unsolved, as we always
have to have a backup solution and we cannot save critical data in it.

Yours,
Per

"It is difficult to catch a black cat in a dark room.
Especially if there is no cat there." - Confucius