[Freeciv-Dev] Re: request for --disable-sound

To: Davide Pagnin <nightmare@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: request for --disable-sound
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 11:13:57 +0200

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 12:38:19AM +0200, Davide Pagnin wrote:
>       Hi all!
>
> I've read of some people having trouble with sound and
> I hope that there is general consensus that a --disable-sound
> option has to be added to the configuration script.
>
> I've managed to write a macro and made the few changes needed
> to have the patch work with configure.in (hope that the
> changes to configure.ac works in the way I hope!).
>
> The result is quite good (for my point of view!).
>
> This was mine environment :
>
> A NFS server without sound libraries installed
> An exported /usr/local directory to 5 client machine
> 1 client machine with sound support
> 4 client machine without sound support
> the esound related libraries installed in the
> share /usr/local/ directory via a rpm package
>
> This give me some headache, because configure
> finds esound stuff and want to use that, afterwords
> it finds out that the library related libmme.so
> isn't present in the client system (unless the
> machine which has the sound support)
>
> With may patch, the client works even for the clients
> without sound support.
>
> The patch is rather rough, and obviously need improvement,
> the main in related to clean all the messages that the
> client spit out saying the lack of stdsound.spec, even
> in the case of sound disabled via the --disable-sound
> option.
>
> Please, let me know what you think.

I would prefer a solution where the checks for ESD and SDL are made
more strict and so these options are removed on your systems.

I don't know the exact details but it should be possible to do a test
compile in the esd.m4 and sdl.m4 and link with the appropriate
libraries to check for their existence.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx