[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bug report (PR#1375)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bug report (PR#1375)
From: Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 15:17:58 +0200

* Per I Mathisen (per@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> RedHat seem to be dragging their feet. I believe the other distros have
> gone over to 2.52 some time ago already. Debian ships with both versions,
> and automagically uses the right version (I don't know how).

On Mandrake 8.2, I've got:
schmitta@alan-schm1p:~> rpm -qa | grep autoconf
autoconf-2.13-11mdk
autoconf2.5-2.52d-1mdk

so they decided to stick with the old one by default, it seems.

> When I think about it, the right thing to do might be to supply two
> versions of configure.in, say
>       configure.ac-2.13
>       configure.ac-2.52
> and then let autogen.sh use the one that works (or maybe supply an
> autogen.sh-2.52 too). I can quickly make a version for 2.52 as long as
> nobody expects it work for the Xaw client on non-linux architectures
> (which is where all the pain is).

For enlightenment, we provide both configure.in and configure.ac. The
later is ignore by autoconf 2.13 and the former is ignored by autoconf
2.52 since configure.ac is there ... I don't know if it's the best
solution but it works.

Alan

--
The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.